EXTERNAL PROVIDERS

Community Member
    3D Special Forces
    Awards:
    Community Award

Status
    Follow Dangerboy3D On Twitter Add Dangerboy3D on MySpace Add Dangerboy3D on Linkedin Follow Dangerboy3D on Flickr Visit Dangerboy3D's Youtube Channel

Stat Site Front Section

Hi Guys,

We had a general discussion about the front portion of the site. As you may already know, the site runs on two packages which is Joomla for the front and vBulletin for the forum and gallery... and whatever else. The question that was brought up is... Do we need the front "Joomla" portion of the site? It has a lot of abilities like the forum but do we keep it or does it make sense to go with just one? From a development prospective, my only preference would have been to make them look the same.

Lend me your thoughts.

Lurker
    Certified Narutard, Inu-tard extraordinare
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Status
    Follow Nihane-chan On Twitter

I think the front page is pretty useless... at least for me. When I sign in on it, it doesn't even sign me in LOL... I still have to do it again on the forums. Its pretty, but unnecessary

Go check out my Sims2 Creations in the Gallery!

Community Member
    3D Special Forces
    Awards:
    Community Award

Status
    Follow Dangerboy3D On Twitter Add Dangerboy3D on MySpace Add Dangerboy3D on Linkedin Follow Dangerboy3D on Flickr Visit Dangerboy3D's Youtube Channel

Actually it is but that login is very pointless. There is a bridge script that runs authentication between both front and back but the forum is the primary. This is a manual function and I've seen nothing but errors when running it.

Now for the validity of the front area is that it's is being picked up better by search engines than the forum. Our gallery images are not being found as much as like a blog for instance. Google images would find Jimmy Hoffa faster than they would find out images which really pisses me off, cause the gallery software support was more costly than what we are getting out of it. Still it's the only product that integrates with the forum. Another plan for the front is to place ads all over which will leave the forum portion relatively clean with maybe a top and bottom banner.... maybe no banner at all might be better.

The discussion still stands that we can maybe move a lot of this into the forum portion but I feel that it's the members choice before we do anything that drastic.

Lurker
    Certified Narutard, Inu-tard extraordinare
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Status
    Follow Nihane-chan On Twitter

Le Gasp!! It's GONE! I am noticing though that I have to click on "Remember Me" in order to stay signed in on the Forums now.
    I've heard somewhere that you have to pay Google to show up on the top listings of the image and page searches. I don't mind having ads here and there in a few banners, as long as they're none of those "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE JUST WON A BRAND NEW -insert expensive electronics here-" That and pop-ups, but my browser does a pretty good job at stopping those.

Go check out my Sims2 Creations in the Gallery!

Thread Information