EXTERNAL PROVIDERS

Default Torkuitsu's In Depth Reviews: Neon Genesis Evangelion

First off let me say, I am heavy into anime. These reviews are going to pretty in depth, or as far in depth as I can go until I start majorly spoiling. That being said, I will make my best attempts at keeping them minor or absent all together.

Most of you have already found the vast majority of Japanese-produced animation to be either giant robot battles, cute talking animal adventures or socially awkward high school dramas (or sometimes a combination of all three).

But there are still some anime's that are still worth paying attention to, this includes the show, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

And despite its love for giant robot battles and generous use of fan service, Neon Genesis Evangelion is unarguably one... of the most influential sagas in modern anime.

Neon Genesis Evangelion has been known to divide audiences. In the history of anime no series has sparked more debate than Evangelion. For every viewer who's enthralled by its mix of classic anime action, convoluted philosophy, psychological angst, and religious imagery, there's another who finds it pretentious and ponderous.

While on the surface it shares many characteristics with some of the standard subgenres of anime, Evangelion manages to break free of any pre-determined conventions with its complex, multi-layered exploration of human strife, adolescent trauma and catastrophes of biblical proportions. The saga takes place in the near future and tells the convoluted tale of mankind's battle against God at the dawn of the apocalypse. Its giant humanoid robots, dubbed Evas, may bear more than a passing resemblance to any number of anime mecha (Mobile Suit Gundam, for instance) but are revealed to be much more, and their teenaged pilots show more depth and complexity than you'd initially suspect. While a competent analysis is outside the scope of this review, there are plenty of sources out there that should help you delve into the multi-faceted nature of Evangelion. Suffice it to say that it is more important and artistically relevant than most of the anime that's been produced in the last years.

While the layers of psychology, philosophy, and symbolism would crush most shows under their own weight and seeming pretentiousness, NGE handles them with adeptness and acute direction. He skillfully weaves them into the story to the point where everything makes complete sense in relation to the characters and storyline. In fact, if you really take time to analyze the story, the characters, and the relationship between the dialogue and visuals with the psychological, philosophical, and symbolic meanings, you'll see this series does indeed have more depth than almost all others that have attempted to tackle similar subjects. In fact, this is a series which almost has to be viewed several times, as there are recurring motifs (both visually and in the dialogue) which link important thematic elements strung throughout. And if you're not watching carefully, you'll miss them the first and maybe even second time around.

I think the reason these ideas become so important is very simple, and that's because of the characters. NGE doesn't just create a random bunch of soulless, mindless, anime characters. He creates characters that everyone can relate to on some level. Because these characters have such range and depth, we begin to really care about them and their struggles. In the end their struggles become our own and they literally become mirrors of our own psychological profiles and problems. We begin to grieve as we watch them deal with such (self) destructive behavior caused by their circumstances and consequential frames of mind. It's because of this that the viewer actually cares about the more portentous moments, no matter how grandiose they become. I think it's very important for those out there to understand that all the elaborate complexities of NGE wouldn't matter without the characters that carry the weight and meaning of it all.

The cast of Characters in NGE are varied, and through the course of the series the majority of them are emotionally ripped apart and left for dead. NGE holds back nothing. For most animes, a flaw of a character is usually ironed out before the end. But NGE is different. Weak characters show moments of strength, but ultimately remain weak. Arrogant characters show moments of humility but ultimately remain egotistical. Such is the nature of the series - the characters definitely go through challenging experiences that test their flaws, but they do not seem to overcome them. One reason for this may be that the challenges the characters go through in NGE are treated as though they were realistic stressful conditions that mentally damage the characters since there is always bad collateral damage even with success.

Evangelion's 26 episodes can be roughly divided into two parts. The first half of the series is action-packed and upbeat (at least in relation to later episodes), with generous servings of comedy and "fan service." It's basically a traditional mecha action series, albeit an unusually ambitious and complex one. After the initial rush of the first episode, the pace slows down a bit to allow for some character development and background to develop. But by the time Asuka makes her first appearance, the show has kicked into high gear for a stunning run of near-perfect episodes.

The show was quick to develop a number of plot threads that all intertwined in such a way that you could write several books on the individual episodes but the main points were that the conspiracies all led to a few places and the use of religious icons and prophecies seemed deliberate, even in the early stages of the show.

Without spoiling the show for those of you new to join, the replay value on this one is off the charts if you enjoy complex dramas and well written anime shows. Further, in the thirteen years this one has been out, you can trace almost every anime show using giant robots, psychological thrillers, and hidden cabals within society running things from behind the scenes back to this one. Sure, it builds on shows that came before it but it was more of a revolutionary step in terms of overall complexity and quality than it was a smaller evolutionary step; leading fans to discuss its nuances over and over.

NGE is a show of extremes. Ranging from scenes of palpable, visceral power that inspire shock and awe, to the most quietly serene, surreal, and beautifully touching moments. These scenes are woven together as fine and eloquently as the Beethoven Symphony they play in episode 24 itself. And like that symphony, even though the parts are outstanding, the whole is much greater than the sum.

There are just so many things Evangelion does right that elevate it beyond pedestrian anime. The world is so alive and well-developed, right down to the smallest details (like the way cars run on batteries instead of gasoline, as one would expect in a future following global disaster that would limit access to fossil fuels). Even the minor characters, like classmates Toji and Kensuke, are remarkably fleshed out. The way Misato's mature (but dysfunctional) relationship with Kaji contrasts with the teens' awkward, tentative steps towards romance is brilliant. In other words, Evangelion pulls off the remarkable trick of feeling tantalizingly real, an exceedingly rare accomplishment in anime (and animation in general).

Evangelion is definitely in a class by itself, and it is required viewing for any anime fan. While the animation looks a bit dated by today's standards, NGE is still a powerful cerebral onslaught and an audiovisual force that won't soon be forgotten. Not just another giant robot/sexy teenager anime, Evangelion is a trendsetter and a pillar of creative achievement. While it won't answer many of those lingering questions you might have in the end, it does set up the finale, End of Evangelion, a movie that presents a more coherent ending which makes a lot more sense than the last two episodes did.

I believe this is a work of resounding artistic depth. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the absolute greatest pieces of fiction ever made in any animated medium. This may sound like hyperbole, but there have been few - if any - fictional works that have effected me both emotionally and psychologically like NGE has. If you put in the time and effort to actively watch this series, it will reward as many repeat viewings as you care to give it, as new layers and meanings will be uncovered each time. And I think that is, if nothing else, the first sign of a work of artistic genius.

Make it a priority to watch this and see for yourself what NGE means to you. After you do, make sure you watch the movie, End of Evangelion.

Community Member
    3D Special Forces
    Awards:
    Community Award

Status
    Follow Dangerboy3D On Twitter Add Dangerboy3D on MySpace Add Dangerboy3D on Linkedin Follow Dangerboy3D on Flickr Visit Dangerboy3D's Youtube Channel

I'm still a bit of an anime noob but I will make it a point to have a look at these.

Great article btw. You're quite a writer.

Trust me DB, if there is one person who's word I take on anime it's Torks. Just about every anime he has mentioned to me and that I have watched have become one of my top favorite animes. Then again we have similar taste in anime so it is a possibility I am biased, who knows *shrugs*

Community Member
    3D Special Forces
    Awards:
    Community Award

Status
    Follow Dangerboy3D On Twitter Add Dangerboy3D on MySpace Add Dangerboy3D on Linkedin Follow Dangerboy3D on Flickr Visit Dangerboy3D's Youtube Channel

Oh I have no doubt about that. The guy is like an anime drug dealer. Personally I have to secure some time so I can actually get into some new stuff. I got hooked on Naruto and the story sucks ass right now. If I get hooked on something new right now, I'll go nuts.

Fresh Meat
    Hentai Guru

Status

Impressive Article Torkuistu, and I have to admit, this articles is what made me watch NGE to begin with

Yays. That's awesome Kaiju. While my fandom of Eva may be fading, I still stand by everything said in this article. Upon my first go-round, it was...a trip..That i wish I could have again

Fresh Meat
    Hentai Guru

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Torkuitsu View Post
    Yays. That's awesome Kaiju. While my fandom of Eva may be fading, I still stand by everything said in this article. Upon my first go-round, it was...a trip..That i wish I could have again
    Your welcome.

Yeah, thats one issue we all have, the moment you see some new awesome show, you immediately become obsessed with it, however after a while you start losing interest in said show, the same thing happened with me and my former love for the NARUTO show, then it started sucking...

Although, that being said there are still some things that no matter how much time passes by you can still enjoy and love it. Like with me and Digimon, Godzilla, AvP, other stuff.

As for my first EVA experience, well I watched both the series and the EoE movie in one go'round, so lets just say the resulting shitted brix amounted to the great wall of china.

Hehe. May I poke you in this direction then?

http://forum.animexhibit.com/anime-r...u-koro-ni.html

Fresh Meat
    Hentai Guru

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Torkuitsu View Post
    Hehe. May I poke you in this direction then?

http://forum.animexhibit.com/anime-r...u-koro-ni.html
    Hehe, I think I need to see a less brick shitting anime before I go for Higuarshi, of those I'm considering looking into Guren Laggen or Azumanga Daioh if anything.

Thread Information